In order to advance therapeutics, medical devices/diagnostics, and digital health technologies across campus, the UCLA Technology Development Group (TDG), UCLA Health / David Geffen School of Medicine (DGSOM), UCLA Henry Samueli School of Engineering & Applied Science (HSSEAS), School of Dentistry (SOD) and the College's Divisions of Life Sciences and Physical Sciences are collaborating to present the UCLA Innovation Fund. This opportunity is open to UCLA faculty from all Schools who have signed the UCLA Patent Policy.
The UCLA Innovation Fund’s goal is to more quickly move technologies from idea to the market, bridging the gap between academia and industry / investor interest. Successful outcomes include, but are not limited to a:
- license to an existing company;
- license to a newly created company
Technologies will be separated into two tracks: MedTech Track (LOI Due 05/02/2022) and Therapeutics Track (LOI Due 06/01/2022).
Please see the opportunity website for additional information about the two funding tracks, project management, budget, and evaluation criteria.
Importantly, this is not a traditional research award. Funding will be used to advance a project along to reach a key project-specific milestone, further enabling these technologies to be licensed to an existing company or a startup. These funds are to support commercialization activities that would not be supported by basic research grants.
There is a three-step application process, which requires a Letter of Intent, Full Application (by invitation only), and a Pitch Presentation (by invitation only).
Award Amount and Details
- Funding will be in the range of $50K - $150K.
- Projects with significant commercial potential may apply for an exemption for funding up to $200K.
- See opportunity website under "Program Details" for further details.
Deadlines and Date Information
The due dates listed below are the most recent due dates our office is aware of. Please see the opportunity home page for information about potential upcoming deadlines or other opportunities.
- May 2, 2022: Letter of Intent DUE by 11:59pm: MedTech Track
- June 1, 2022: Letter of Intent DUE by 11:59pm: Therapeutics Track
- June 1, 2022: Invitation to Submit Full Application: MedTech Track
- July 1, 2022: Invitation to Submit Full Application: Therapeutics Track
- July 6, 2022: Full Applications DUE: MedTech Track
- August 8, 2022: Full Applications DUE: Therapeutics Track
- August 12, 2022: Invitation to Pitch Day: MedTech Track
- September 9, 2022: Invitation to Pitch Day: Therapeutics Track
- November 2022: Pitch Day: MedTech Track
- November or early December 2022: Pitch Day: Therapeutics Track
- January, 6 2023: Earliest Access to Funds
- The lead PI must be a UCLA faculty member in the Regular Professor, In-Residence Professor, Clinical X Professor, or Health Sciences Clinical Professor series in the DGSOM, HSSEAS, Life Sciences, etc.; applications from highly independent and accomplished faculty in the Adjunct Professor and Researcher series may also be considered
- The lead PI on each application must hold a primary appointment on the UCLA campus, in that their extramural grant applications must typically be submitted through the UCLA Office of Contract and Grant Administration
- Project teams may include non-faculty positions (e.g., graduate students, postdocs, staff, nurses, etc.) that sign the UC Patent Policy
- The underlying IP should vest with UCLA (the Regents) only; all members of the team need to have signed the UC Patent Acknowledgement
- Technologies that have been licensed out to a third party (e.g., startup, existing company, etc.) or are in active licensing negotiations are not eligible for UCLA Innovation Fund support, as the UCLA Innovation Fund aims to support technologies that have not yet successfully reached a value inflection point